Many of us act like we're really into the Super Bowl, but for many of us, it's all about the ads and the food. How many other Sundays do you get together with family and friends, and sit around eating all afternoon and evening with the TV on? I pulled a seriously dingy move this year, and offered to be the point person for scoring theater tickets for a show that's hot, and equally coveted dinner reservations, to celebrate my mom's big birthday. I couldn't believe my good fortune to be able to get both on February 5th, just one day after her BIG day! I was the golden child. Or not. But come on, it's not like I have the Superbowl listed in my (paper) calendar. It wasn't until friends invited us over for one of those fun family gatherings (to sit around catching up with friends and eating all afternoon/evening, with the TV on) that I realized I was the proud holder of 4 theater tickets and a dinner reservation...on Super Bowl Sunday. So, I'm not whipping up any of these vittles this year, but if I was going to host, or offer to bring something to our friend's party, this would be my list of go-to healthy party foods. Most, if not all, can be made ahead so this is another one of those "throw a party and get to enjoy it too" posts...since no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen when those great ads come on!
Dip into one of these...
- (Soy) Sausage Dip (super easy and everyone loves this decadent dip)
- Decadent Stuffed Baked Brie (melted, gooey decadence that pleases a crowd)
- Cowboy Caviar (loaded with good stuff, serve with baked tortilla chips)
- Bright Green Pea Dip (if you're looking for something lighter + brighter... see it in action here)
- Edamame Hummus (healthy go-to dip around here that everyone always enjoys)
- Pesto Torta (a bit more work, but everyone loves this layered app)
A platters of something fresh...
- A big veggie platter (is always welcome when there's lots of mindless munching)
- Here's another fruit & veggie spread (perfect for a smaller gathering)
- Jicama Spears with Lime and Chili Powder (couldn't be easier and you're pretty much guaranteed someone else won't show up with the same thing...unless the also read full plate)
- Fruit Skewers (if you'd like to contribute something sweet and healthy...these are a particular hit with kids)
Pieces of something delicious...
- Cucumber Cups (filled with Soy sausage Dip, store-bought hummus or your favorite dip, as a healthier option to chips...)
- Phyllo cups (lots of stuffing options listed, pick your favorite)
- Endive Spears with Parmesan-Walnut Pesto (most sophisticated on this list, but hey, maybe you run with a swanky crowd...)
- Or a recent favorite, Chorizo with Queso Fresca
And entrees that will fill and wow a crowd...